Saturday, December 17, 2011

First Week At Site

I am sitting in a cafe in our closest biggest city, Vilanculos, so I wanted to post something quickly while I have free, fast internet! I will write about more details soon but I wanted to say so far it's been a bit more difficult than anticipated. :) 2 hours of power a day is actually 0 hours for at least the next month because the professors on our mission did not want to pay for electricity this month since most are on their summer vacation (remember, seasons are opposite here in the southern hemisphere!), My bathroom is a publicly shared one on the mission and it is super gross, it's rained daily and we are in massive move-in/clean up the house mode. But, we are able to eat, sleep, speak a little Portuguese, meet some really nice people in our village and I know soon enough, we'll get used to this and be comfortable with the challenge! Unfortunately, we won't be able to Skype at our site but we will be able to set up Skype times when we come to Vilanculos again after things get settled. In the meantime, I would love to get a phone call from anyone to chat during this crazy transition! Set up Skype to call cell phones please! Ok, hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! I will write more details about our site when I have some time to write more!..

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (try again...)
    For those of you who have smartphones, check the Skype web site or your phone's app stores for the Skype app. Zeev & I have found that by using the app on my iPhone it is a lot easier than trying to talk over the computer. The app uses the data plan so you'll have to check that you have a good data plan as well. I have unlimited data so it's not an issue, but obviously not everyone does.

    Here's the link to the mobile solutions section of the Skype web site:
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/other-supported-devices/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about skype and phone calls, but our family has been talking with Allison (another pcv serving with Chris & Laurie) and we have great success with GoogleVoice. We are talking for 13 cents a minute. Connections have been great and like Laurie said, it sure is nice to hear a voice!!!

    ReplyDelete